KING OF ARMS ART BALL III
SUNDAY September 20th.
Livestream public & The Chimney NYC
On Sunday September 20th, The Chimney NYC will broadcast live Rashaad Newsome's King of Arms Art Ball III, staged for the first time in Bushwick at Livestream Public.
As a veteran member of the contemporary art world and the NYC Ballroom scene New York based artist Rashaad Newsome uses The King of Arms Art Ball to bring these seemingly unrelated communities together in a new and exciting way. The King of Arms Art Ball is a social practice piece in which Newsome stages a vogue ball where all the categories are based on an artist’s work or a particular movement within art history. This year, the Ball will also be addressing the recent acts of Police violence against 'Black' people in America.
Livestream Public will be turned into a scene from one of Rashaad Newsome’s visually baroque videos, young performers battle it out for trophies and cash prizes before a judges panel of vogue scene legends and prominent entertainers, contemporary artists, curators, fashion designers, writers and activists. A Rashaad Newsome designed ABSOLUT Vodka bar will propose unique King Of Arms cocktails.
- Rashaad Newsome, Artist
- Mickalene Thomas, Artist
- Neil Barclay, Director of the Contemporary Arts Center, New Orleans
- Amanda Hunt, Assistant curator at The Studio Museum in Harlem
- Antwaun Sargent, Culture writer (Vogue, Complex, Vice)
- Karlo Steel, Creative Director, Stylist & Founder of New York boutique Atelier
- Michaela Angela Davis, Writer on black style, race, gender and hip-hop
- Mcdebra Mikli, Ballroom Commentator and Entertainer
- Crystal Caines, Producer, Rapper and Singer
- Leiomy Maldonado First year winner of the King Of Arms Art Ball
- Katrina Draya Ghalichi, Model, Actress, and Entertainer.
- Lola Mizrahi, Model, Actress, Entrepreneur
- Tyra A. Ross, Model
- Erica Kane Lanvin, Vogue Performer
- Hurricane Katrina Ebony, Vogue Performer
- Dawn Ebony, Vogue Performer
 RUNWAY: "Gravity and Grace”. Inspired by El Anatsui or Nick Cave
 FACE/HAIR AFFAIR: Lorna Simpson vs. The Bronner Brothers
 SEX SIREN: "BLACK LIVES MATTER"
 COMMENTATOR vs COMMENTATOR: Verses & Bars - Legends, Statements, & Stars
 PERFORMANCE: "Vogue Afrique"
Rashaad Newsome, (b. 1979, New Orleans) graduated with a BFA from Tulane University. He has been the subject of solo exhibitions, including L.S.S (2014) and Herald (2011) at Marlborough Gallery, New York; Rashaad Newsome: King of Arms at The New Orleans Museum of Art (2013); FIVE (2014) and SEVEN (2011) at The Drawing Center, New York. His work has been exhibited worldwide and throughout the United States. Notable group exhibitions include the Venice Biennale (2011); the Whitney Biennial (2010); Killer Heels at the Brooklyn Museum, New York (2014); The Concept of Baroque in Contemporary Art at the Gallerie Henrik Springmann, Berlin (2013); Stage Presence: Theatricality in Art and Media at the SFMoMA, San Francisco (2012); It’s Time to Dance Now at the Centre Pompidou, Paris (2012); The Bearden Project at The Studio Museum in Harlem, New York (2012); Free at The New Museum, New York (2010), and Greater New York at MoMA PSA, New York (2010). Newsome’s work can be found in the permanent collections of the San Francisco Museum of Modern Art; the Whitney Museum and the Brooklyn Museum.